Friday, May 20, 2016

Honing Session Completed:

Well I just got through using my friend Dr. Matt Robin's honing techniques and let me tell you that not only was it impressive, but it was extremely easy and fast to do. It took me exactly 1 hour to do 3 razors and that includes clean up and taking these photos:


First I soaked the Norton combo stone for approximately 10 minutes:


Next I killed the edge by gently dragging it across the corner of the stone one time only :


Next I did 40 round trips under low running water or until the razor felt sticky and struggled to go across the stone. Sometimes it takes more than that so do NOT stop until the razor feels sticky. When it does feel sticky and does NOT want to go across the stone move to the next step immediately :


I got a pretty good slurry right way using this technique:


The next step is to do 10 round trips on the linen side of your strop. Do NOT do more than that because you're only cleaning it at the moment and will be going back to the stone :


Next I went back to the 8K and I repeated the technique listed above under a much more steady stream of running water and I stopped once the razor felt sticky as prescribed in Dr. Matt's YouTube Coticule honing videos. The Gold Dollar 66 took the longest with 100 round trips while both the Gold Monkey and the 208 took roughly around 40 round trips :


Next I did 20 round trips on the scrub leather of my strop:


Then I did 40 round trips on the smooth leather of my strop:


After I was done stroping all 3 razors, I took my 600 grit diamond plate and cleaned my Norton 4/8K stone under a steady stream of water which did an excellent job at rinsing the slurry away:


Hopefully this technique worked and I won't need to use this Naniwa Professional (New Chosera) 600 grit water stone to reset the bevel:


Here's how well the diamond plate did at cleaning my stone:


All in all the edges look phenomenal under my loupe, but the real test will be tomorrow when I shave with 208. I was very impressed and pleased with how fast and how easy this technique was to do.

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...