Saturday, June 4, 2016

Another Honing Session:

After having to put down my Gold Dollar 208 this morning because it wouldn't shave, I decided to go ahead and re hone the razor from start to finish. First I started off with my Professional 600 grit stone and I reset the bevel using my old routine which is half circles which or a back and forth motion and I did 40/40, 20/20, 10/10, 5/5, seconds followed by 10 round trips to clean up the edge. Unfortunately for me that was NOT enough to reset the bevel so I went back and done 10/10, 5/5, and 10 more round trips which finally done it. Then to make sure, I did an additional 10 more round trips to give it some extra polish:


After I did that I went to the nylon webbing side of my strop and did 10 round trips to clean it up a bit more and to smooth it out. Next I proceeded with Dr. Matt Robin's ILR technique and I kept going on both the 4K and 8K sides until the 208 felt sticky which took a lot longer than normal this time around. Normally I'm done in about 40 round trips give or take a little. This time it took 100 round trips on BOTH sides then I went back to the nylon webbing on my strop and done 10 more round trips. After that I went back and done another round to max out the 208 and instead of taking forever, it took the usual amount of 40 round trips before it felt sticky. Hopefully this will help.

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...