Friday, January 20, 2017

Mail Call!

Today's mail call is special. My Jr. Torrey 5/8's Barber's Notch has returned from Dr. Matt Robins. He had to do some geometry correction and let me tell you, it made a huge difference. The Jr. Torrey did have a slight twist in the spine just before you got to the heel of the razor which he ended up fixing. He did do a video and called "back beveling" but hasn't published it just yet. So stay tuned and take notes on it when it's published because this razor sits extremely flat now. In fact it almost wouldn't let go of the smooth leather side of my strop (5 round trips only) :


I made it easier for him. Basically I sent a self addressed and postage paid envelope so all he had to do was drop it in the mail when he got done:


Unfortunately he could NOT put a Belgium Coticule edge on it but that's okay because he put a Naniwa 12K Super Stone edge on the razor which was 1 of the 2 stones left that I had never shaved off of until now. So the last one left that I've not shaved off of is the Coticule:


That's the challenge with these 5/8's and smaller razors. Once that geometry is perfect, it will take an excellent edge but you do have to be careful and not remove too much metal because it can effect how a razor shaves in a negative way. So I am extremely pleased with the results of this razor. It shaved extremely well. I thinking about sending him my Steampunk wedge to see what he can do with it. He'll have no problems honing it because it sits perfectly flat.

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...