Thursday, January 5, 2017

The Shoubandini Type 100:

It has taken a while but I've finally got this stone figured out. I love this stone. The edges it has produced using a slurry built with a well worn 600 grit diamond plate has been amazing over the last 2 shaves counting this morning's shave. My only mistake was using clean water with this specific stone. Do NOT use clean water with this stone. It makes the edge go away:


This Shoubandini Type 100 was given to me by my friend, Kon Soldatos (thanks buddy) :


It's definitely a finishing stone in the hard category. I would put it around Level 4 which is hard but not quite like glass. Its also very fast and has a very smooth feedback to it. The slurry from this stone is like an extremely light yellow/off cream color and is pretty thin too. Almost like water, but just a shade thicker than water. Another thing I noticed was unlike my other stones that I have, the slurry doesn't stain anything. Normally with the other stones, my fingers are black and I have to wash them 2 or 3 times to get them clean. I don't have to do this with the Shoubandini type 100. Here lately this specific stone has been removed from Japanese Natural Stones website ( http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/ ). The only place I know of that you might get one would be EBay. Other than that, I have no idea as to where you can get one at this price or size.

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...