Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Leaf Razor Blade Choices:

The U.S. Postal tracker has been updated and I could not be more excited and happier than I am now. My Leaf razor is scheduled to arrive this coming Thursday as you can see below:


Unfortunately the blades that I want to try first before won't be here until this coming Friday as you can also see below:


Here's a list of the blades that I ordered from Maggard Razors. I spent a grand total of $10.25 U.S. Dollars for 27 blades. This does not include shipping costs because that rate varies based upon location. So I will leave that part out from now on. So lets do some math here. $10.25 divided by 27 total blades = .3796. I'll go ahead and round that up to $.40 cents per blade which is 10 times cheaper than cartridge razor blades:


The reason that specific cost is high is because of the $5 U.S. Dollars price tag on these Feather DE blades which can be seen below:


^ Feather DE blades are the sharpest DE blades you can get in my humble opinion and there are several people out there who would agree with me on this specific statement. They also tend to have an extremely harsh post shave feel afterward. The post shave kindly reminds me of a sun burn with most of my DE safety razors. I have no clue what they will be like in the Leaf razor at all which is why I ordered them. I will do a write up on each and every blade that I use in the Leaf razor. My next blade choice I have been hearing and seeing in a lot of shave of day posts and that would be the Gillette Wilkinson Sword DE blades:


^These were extremely inexpensive at only $1 U.S. Dollar for 5 blades which puts the costs at $.20 cents per blade. I've spent more than that on a cup of coffee so that is definitely a plus. I never got around to trying these blades in a DE safety razor so I will give them a go in the Leaf. Up next is an old favorite amongst many wet shavers and it's the ONLY DE blade that's still being manufactured here in the United States of America and that is the Personna Lab Blue blades:


^ These are made in my home state of Virginia near the Richmond area. I did try the Medical Prep blades which is used to prep a patient for surgery which were only good for 2 multi pass shaves in a DE safety razor and I really loved the Personna Reds which were also good for 2 shaves in the 37C slant. So these will be very interesting. The costs of these blades is $2.00 U.S. Dollars for 5 blades which puts the costs at $.40 cents per blade for this specific go around but you can buy 100 of these blades for around $13 dollars which brings the costs down. My next blade of choice to try out I have tried before and they're crazy sharp. Especially in slants, and that would be the Gillette 7 "o" Clock blacks :


^In your standard DE safety razors, the Feather DE blades are the Ninja Grandmaster when it comes to sharpness while these Gillette blacks are its Master student. These are $2.75 for 7 blades which would be $.40 cents per blade. These will be very interesting in the Leaf. And of course, I will also be trying the blades shown below with the penguins checking things out:


^ The Perma-Sharps I've used repeatedly and are an extremely comfortable blade. The only difference between them and Feather blades is that the Perma-Sharps were extremely comfortable afterward. The Gillette Silver Blues are slightly sharper than Personna but not quite as smooth. The big surprise for me was the Parker Blades which was sent to me by Dr. Mike's Emporium and they are a very comfortable and a solid middle of the road DE blade. I was told by several people that the Leaf razor is what they call a "sleeper" type of razor which means that it might look evil but is comfortable and enjoyable to use in addition to removing the toughest stubble very efficiently. I will find out when it arrives this coming Thursday. So new guys, I strongly suggest and recommend that you make a similar purchase with each and every DE safety razor you buy. The reason behind this is because you can and will get different results with each and every razor even if you stick with the same brand of blades. I'm also wanting to try blades in the Leaf that I did not enjoy in previous shaves. That for sure is going to be interesting.



I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...