Friday, May 20, 2016

A Honing Experiment:

Even though this morning's shave was great, I felt it could be better and I've decided to give a friend's routine a try and see what happens. Dr. Matt Robins has some really good YouTube videos out there and now that I'm more experienced at honing and confident in my abilities at honing razors, I may also try another friend's 2 stone technique later on:


I've got my Norton Combo stone soaking as we speak and from this point on, I will be honing razors under slow running water at my kitchen sink. I did 40 round trips after killing the edge or until it feels sticky and struggles to go across the stone as expressed in Dr. Matt's Belgium Coticule videos on the 8K side :


After doing Dr. Matt's technique, I did 10 round trips on the nylon webbing:


Then I went back to the 8K side of the stone after stropping the razors and did 40 more round trips to clean up the edge a bit as expressed in Dr Matt's Coticule videos:


Ok after I finished the second round on the 8K side, I went back to my 3 inch strp and did 20 round trips on the scrub leather and 40 round trips on the smooth leather.

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...