Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Quick Honing Session:

Since I didn't like today's edge on my Gold Dollar 208, I decided to perform Dr. Matt Robin's ILR honing technique on BOTH Gold Dollar razors using both sides of my Norton 4/8K combo stone. I did NOT take any photos of the 4K side, but I did the exact same thing on both sides. So lets get started:


First using the back of my 600 grit diamond plate, I killed the edge on both the Gold Dollar 208 and the 66. It's still somewhat sharp, but no where near shave ready:


And under a slow stream of water, I did 40 round trips on the 4K side :


Next I did 10 round trips on the nylon webbing side of my strop but no more than that :


Then under a medium stream of water I went back to the 4K side and repeated what I did earlier:


Then after I repeated the steps above on the 8K side of my Norton, I did 20 round trips on the scrub leather which gave the edges a pretty nice polish:


Then I did 40 round trips on the smooth leather which should be the icing on the cake:


Tomorrow's shave will tell a story and determine whether or not I did this technique correctly. I've already tried this technique before, but I only used the 8K side of the stone and got some really good results. I never done this technique using both sides of the Norton 4/8K combo stone before.


I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...