Saturday, July 28, 2018

Antique Store Score: Griffon Razor:

I got lucky today in a local antique store. While I was looking around I noticed a case and that usually gets my attention real quick and sure enough this monster was in the case. I can't believe we got it for a measly $20 U.S. Dollars :


The tang says "Griffon" which is clear on the razor. Unfortunately my camera didn't want to cooperate with me today and I was just barely able to get the logo:


Here's the Soligen, Germany crown stamp on the other side. This photo came out better than the other one did:


I already heard from my friend, Frank Misa over on Instagram and he said he just got through honing one up and said it takes a really beautiful edge so that's good news right there. Soligen steel is some what of a softer steel but it's an extremely good steel that will hold an edge. It's not stupid hard like the Swedish steel is so I more than likely will be honing this beast tonight. Right now I'm trying to figure out where to start my progression. You start too low and you will damage the razor but if you start too high, you will be there all night. They could have charged a lot more than $20 dollars for this razor easy. Its only drawback is the fact that it's only 4/8's wide. I have thick and tough beard and a wider blade makes beard removal much easier versus this 4/8's blade. I think I will start with my Suehiro 1K and progress up to my Naniwa 8K and switch to Dr. Matt's under running water technique afterward using both my ILR and Coticule.

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...