Monday, July 2, 2018

American Blend & The 430:

Oh my! That's all I can say about this morning's shave. Today I decided to go with Fine Accoutrements and their classic American Blend matching set. The scent is their take on Rive Gauche Per Homme (2003) with a little hint of Gaiac wood. I only wish that this was much stronger than it is and that they would add orange blossom or some neroli oil to the fragrance. And you you know you got a perfect shave when there's no burn from the aftershave or sting from the alum block. Once the alum block is gone, it's gone because it really doesn't do anything for me:


I nailed the edge of the 430. I was slick as black ice after just 3 passes and 2 touch up spots and the razor felt like a butter knife during the shave. The razor had no issues at all in the glide department. I will have to do a YouTube video on what I did exactly to get this razor up to this level. I also now have a new progression with my water stones. 600 grit, 1K, 5K, 8K, Jnat, Coticule. And if the bevel is already set and the razor doesn't need a lot of work, I will start with either my 5K or my 8K and progress from there. Plain water ONLY on the Coticule and I rinse that specific stone frequently while I'm using it. Dr. Matt's under running water technique is great, but I think that my friend Anthony Esposito's technique is way better with the Coticule.

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...