Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Honing Time!

After today's shave, I decided to go back & perform everything you see in this specific YouTube video by Dr. Matt Robins only I did 3 different types of slurry on the Norton 8K before finishing on the ILR. I was extremely close to where I wanted to be before I started so I did not kill the edge. This video is exactly what I do to maintain my razors & it's extremely fast too:


I spent a little more time on the Norton 8K than Dr. Matt did but I felt that the razor needed it. This technique also works with other natural stones such as the Belgium Coticule:


Next I used a 600 grit diamond plate to clean the stone then to build a slurry:


After that I did a slurry with both sides of my Suehiro slurry stone:


After I got done with the Norton 8K, I went straight to my vintage fire hose strop & did 10 round trips on it before going to Dr. Matt's under running water technique:


After that I went to my brand new horsehide strop from TomoNagura & let me tell you, it's a dream to strop on it. The draw/glide is stupid smooth & fast:


I'm more than confident that this razor is shave ready. I was extremely close to where I wanted to be when I shave earlier today & just needed that extra little bit. This should more than do it. My next shave will be very interesting. I have a new razor coming in from Strike Gold Shave & I've never shaved off of a Coticule before. I've been told that I would love it. We will soon see.



I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...