Saturday, March 24, 2018

Honing Time! Black Diamond:

Earlier today I discovered that I had gotten my black diamond too sharp which is what I call over honing. Going from 3 sessions on the Norton 8K to 3 sessions on the Apache Strata followed by 3 sessions on the Shoubandini type 100 is way too keen for this razor:


First I soaked my Suehiro 1/3K combo stone which I use for a slurry stone & my Shoubandini which is the only ones I used today:


Then I killed the edge of the razor on my 600 grit diamond plate:


Last night I picked up one of these sauce bottles in the BBQ isle at Walmart for $.88 cents which is what I'll be using from now on. My spray bottle took a dump & it usually got water every where but where I needed & wanted it:


I only used the 3K side of my Suehiro stone and performed 20/20, 10/10, 5/5 seconds on each side followed by 10 round trips to clean up the edge a bit. The razor was sticking really good to the stone so that tells me it should be fine:


Next I did 5 round trips of my fire hose strop:


Next I did 10 round trips on the scrub leather:


Then I did 20 round trips on the smooth leather:


This should be more than enough for this razor. It doesn't take a lot to get a razor shave ready once the bevel is set for the most part. I've had a few vintages that would take an edge no matter what you did to them but I guess that's part of it. 

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...