Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Honing Time for the Wedge!

Earlier today I thought I would test my wedge with my shave & not good was an understatement. So I rinsed it off, wiped it down & killed the edge on one of my stones and finished my shave with my Gold Dollar 100 which was an ultra fine shave. So lets get started:


First I soaked my stones. The Norton 8K slab that I have left is on its last leg. My Suehiro mighty mini sounds like an Alka-Seltzer tablet when it gets soaked and I also threw my Apache Strata in there to soak as well. It tends to be a really thirsty stone:


I reversed the progression & started with my diamond plate which creates a 600 grit slurry. The wedge needed A LOT of work at this level. I like to have never got that bevel set:


Next I went to the 1K side of my mighty mini and spent quite a bit time here as well. Lots of uneven wear & took quite a while to get it where I wanted but I eventually got it there:


Once I got to the 3K side of of my mighty mini it was like gold. Everything fell into place and the razor started to progress a lot more quickly:


I pretty much did the same thing on my Norton 8K slab that I have left. In truth it's more like a 6.5K with slurry and a 5K with just plain water but it does finish nicely & leaves a very nice polished haze to the edge but I need something that produces a much better edge for my mid range stones:


Next up was the Apache Strata & spent a little bit a time here but not as much as I did on my other stones. I don't finish on this stone but it does make for a great mid range stone and really produces a highly polished edge. This stone doesn't produce a lot of slurry with the diamond plate:


But it sure does produce a lot of slurry with the 1K side of my mighty mini. It also likes a little extra water when using the mighty mini because it's a very thirsty stone:


After I got done with the Apache Strata I went ahead & repeated the process on my Shoubandini Japanese natural water stone:


After I spent some extra time on the Jnat I went straight to my fire hose & performed 10 round trips which should more than wake up this razor. It don't take much:


Next I went to the scrub leather & did 5 round trips to clean up the edge:


Then I finished off with 10 round trips on the smooth leather:


If this doesn't fix this razor, then the razor is getting tossed out. I can't & won't spent anymore time on it & I won't allow someone else to try to hone it either. Sometimes you get a bad razor you can't do nothing about except to toss it. So this will be the last time I hone this razor.

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...