Saturday, December 31, 2016

2 Stone Honing Method:

Since my last honing session didn't yield any results, I decided to do a 2 stone honing method which I got from a friend, Julian Muller. And it has yielded excellent results in the past. So lets get started:


First up I killed the edge on both razors and I started with my Professional 600 grit stone. I ended up doing 40/40, 20/20, 10/10, 5/5 seconds on each side and then I did 10 round trips on each razor. After that I went back and did 20/20, 10/10, 5/5 seconds and followed that up with 10 more round trips. Both razors dug into my thumbnail extremely well and almost wouldn't let go of it. After the thumbnail test, I went back and 10 more round trips to clean up both edges:


Up next I went straight to my Norton 8K stone and I did 100 seconds on each side while turning the stone around every 40 seconds and I also sprayed the stone down every 40 seconds when I turned the stone around. After that I did 10 round trips to clean up the edge on both razors:


Next up I shortened up my stropping routine by just doing 5 round trips on both the rough and smooth leather which produced a really nice looking edge under my loupe:


Having a full progression of stones is helpful and does make things easier, but it's really not necessary unless you want to go that route. I've gotten great results going from my bevel setting stone straight into a finishing stone and I'm not the only one either. Here lately my friend Craig Minor has gotten great results using just 2 stones. In fact he reminded me of this technique. Thanks Craig Minor for reminding me about this technique. I'll still be using the Anthony Esposito method but only with 2 stones which are my Naniwa Professional 600 grit and either my Shoubandini or for the time being, my Norton 8K stone. Thanks for reading my blog posts and Happy New Year ladies & gentlemen:

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...