Thursday, December 1, 2016

Razor Finishing:

This was really cool. Once again I must thank my friend, Kon Soldatos for the Shoubandini Type 100. Okay lets get started. Even though I did 3 sessions on the Norton 8K followed by 10 round trips on the .5 pasted strop yesterday, I still wanted a jnat finish on my razors:


First using my 600 grit diamond plate, I worked up a slurry which took less than 30 seconds to do. It's slightly larger than my 6 by 2 inch diamond plate. And I started out with doing 20 "X" Strokes on each razor. But then I got a little excited and decided to do more and went with 30 seconds worth of half strokes on each side of both razors followed by 10 "X" strokes. Both razors started to get slightly sticky. So these beasts are going to extremely sharp:


My friend Kon Soldatos suggested that after I got through with the slurry to rinse the stone and go with just plain water which I did. I did 20 seconds worth of half circles on each side, followed by 10 "X" strokes to clean up the edge a bit:


Next I went straight to the smooth leather of my strop and rubbed it down until it got warm to the touch and I just did 10 round trips. No pasted strop on this honing session:


I'm extremely pleased with this stone. It's fast but smooth and not quite as hard as some other stones. I would put it around about level 4 at the moment but not quite like glass. I will be calling this excellent stone my pocket rocket. I've never finished off a razor this fast before. I have shaved off of an edge of this type of stone before, but not my own until now. So tomorrow's shave will be interesting for sure. Man I'm really hooked on honing now, wow.

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...