Friday, November 11, 2016

Razor Clean Up:

This was so easy that it was pathetic and it was also a pure joy to do. After my Steampunk Genco wedge arrived it looked pretty rough with spots of rust and some patina to it. So after soaking it in CLR for about 15 minutes and then Barbicide for about the same amount after rinsing it, I whipped out the sanding disc, wire brush and the polish that came with my Dremel kit and went to work. it went extremely well and I cooled the razor with cold running water between attachments and I also ground down the toe to keep it from digging into my skin:


Here's the results of my clean up process which came out pretty good:


And here's after I did numerous polishing sessions with the Mother's Aluminum and Mag polish:


Up next I pulled out my Naniwa Professional 600 grit and did Japanese style honing of 40/40, 20/20, 10/10, 5/5, seconds on each side and I followed that up with 10 "X" strokes. It wasn't quite enough to take the chip out so I went ahead and killed the edge and did 40 seconds worth of circles on both sides, followed by 10 "X" strokes with pressure. After that I did the same thing with no pressure which pretty much took care of it:


Here's how it has came out so far:


I'm thinking that a little bit of time with 220 grit dry sandpaper and a little rubbing compound will make it look really nice in terms of the scratches and with a couple more polishing sessions, it will have a very nice shine to it. Not bad for $15.00 dollars shipped is it? And it sets extremely nice on the stones. Now I know why people like doing this with vintage razors. Now it's on to honing and stropping it now that the edge has been repaired.


I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...