Friday, November 11, 2016

Wedge Has Been Rehoned:

After repairing the edge, I went ahead and started re honing the wedge. I did have photos of some slurry for you guys but I forgot to take the memory card out of the laptop again so I ended up taking them again with no slurry. So lets get started. First up was the 1K side of my Suehiro 1/3K combo stone. There was no need to go back to the 600 grit I used earlier tonight to repair the edge and truth be told, I probably could have started with the 3K side first, but I decided to start at the 1K level and progress up from there. I did my old routine only I did 20/20, 10/10, 5/5 seconds on each side followed by 10 round trips to clean up the edge a bit:


Next up was the 3K side of my Suehiro 1/3K combo stone and I repeated the same process that I did with the 1K side:


Next up was the 1st session on the Norton 8K stone. I repeated the process that I used earlier with my combo stone only I did 10 "X" strokes after the standard round trips that I normally do:


Next up was the 2nd session and I repeated what I did during the 1st session using the weight of the blade only and I also followed that up with 40 seconds worth of circles on both sides, followed by 10 "X" strokes to give the edge a little something extra:


Up next was my Shapton 12K which I did 3 sessions of what I did on my combo stone earlier and I diluted the slurry between each session:


Up next was 5 round trips on the .5 pasted strop:


After that I hit the clean fabric side and did 10 round trips and just before going to the rough leather side I rubbed it down until it got warm to the touch and performed 20 round trips. Once I got done doing that, I rubbed the smooth leather side until it got warm and did 40 round trips :


The edge looked great and if I did everything correctly, I should have a really nice Genco wedge for almost nothing. If the edge isn't where I want it to be, I can always send it out to be re honed or go back and re hone it myself which is awesome.

I'm In A Good Place:

First, let me take a moment to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes during this difficult time. I also want to take a moment to...